This page may contain affiliate links to products or services that I recommend and love. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thanks for feeding my coffee habit! ;) You can read more here.
Ok, to be honest with y’all, I am not the best and keeping a clutter-free home. But lately I have been thinking about ways to keep my home less cluttered and more tidy on a daily basis. You know those homes that seem like they always look company-ready at any given time? Yeah, mine’s not one of them.
Sure, I do a pretty good job of picking up and
hiding stuff putting stuff away right before I know people are coming over. But the rest of the time I am driving my husband crazy with my mess (he’s way more tidy than me). So, I’ve decided that I am going to do a better job of keeping my home clutter-free.
My goal is to have a plan for keeping things tidy and clutter-free that won’t take up much extra time. These are not huge, life-altering tips, or really anything you haven’t heard before. Anything I come up with needs to be easily implemented into my daily routines. So here are the five main things that I think are do-able on a daily basis.
5 Tips To More Easily Keeping a Clutter-Free Home
1. 10 minute pick-up at the end of every day. I am going to make it a habit to go around the house and quickly pick things up and put things away at the end of every day. You know, the blanket still lying on the couch, my shoes under the coffee table in the living room, the bra lying on the floor because I couldn’t stand wearing it any longer, the wine glass on the end table. And that’s just the living room! I didn’t mention the close lying on the bed/floor in the bedroom, the Color Street nail strips lying around my office that I didn’t get put away, etc.
I don’t have kids yet – one on the way! – so it’s just my
crap stuff lying around. It should just take 10 minutes, top! This should help me stay on top of keeping the house picked up. And if I can make it a routine now, I am more likely to be able to keep it up after baby girl gets here in a few months.
2. Do the dishes after every meal. Am I the only one who sucks at this? By the time I have cooked and eaten dinner, I am tired and don’t want to do any more work! But by letting the dishes pile up, it ends up being more work later on. So I am going to try *really hard* to make it a habit to go ahead and get the dishes done after every meal, cleaning them as I go if I am the one cooking. My husband does a really good job of this, so there’s no reason that I can’t do it too.
No more leaving the dishes out overnight (or for days!) Getting them done right away will help keep my kitchen looking nice!
3. Make sure everything has a place. I think I do ok with this one (I mean everyone is allowed to have a junk drawer, right?!), but I want to get better at it. Everything needs to have a place. If something doesn’t have a place and it needs to, then I will find a place for it so I know where to put it next time. Otherwise, I may need to get rid of it. No more clutter of things I don’t know what to do with! And I need to make sure I put things away right away, instead of letting things stay cluttered until later.
This includes the bills and paper clutter. I am going to go through the mail every day and immediately throw away anything that’s junk. Bills will go in this desktop organizer from Target. Anything that needs to be filed will go in the filing cabinet. No more piles and piles of paper and mail, just because I am too lazy to do something with it right away.
4. Make the bed everyday. This one is going to be hard. I don’t know why it’s so hard for me, but it’s never been a habit I have gotten into. Making the bed is something I just don’t do! I know that I am way more likely to keep the rest of the bedroom picked up and clean if the bed is made, but for some reason I never do it. So from now on I plan on making it every day! (Someone want to check up with me and hold me to it???)
5. If something is not being used/loved/have a purpose, get rid of it! This one kind of goes along with number three. I am done keeping things around that I really don’t need to keep. I have a couple of tubs in my storage room that are designated “garage sale tubs,” so anything that I need to get rid of that I think I can sell, I will put in there. Otherwise I will throw it away/give it away/donate it, whatever needs to be done.
I plan on taking some time in the next few weeks to go through every room and every closet and pull out things that we don’t need to keep. Once I do this I can finally start working on the baby’s nursery! It has become a catch-all room, so this is my motivation for getting this done!
Ok, there are my 5 tips to keep my home clutter-free! What tips do you have? Leave me a comment below!