This page may contain affiliate links to products or services that I recommend and love. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thanks for feeding my coffee habit! ;) You can read more here.
7 Things I Stopped Doing In Order To Grow My Business
You often hear people talking about what they did to grow their business. But sometimes there are things you are doing that you need to stop doing in order to grow your business. Here is my list.
- Doubting myself. Ah. This is a big one! It is so easy to let those thoughts of doubt creep in. You wonder if you are good enough, have the right skills or the right personality, you think maybe you can’t do it and are afraid you will fail. Guess what. Those doubts are holding you back from what you can accomplish! I ran across a quote recently that I love that says, “You are braver than you feel, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” I love that, because you ARE! We all have moments of doubt, but when they creep in you need to kick them to the curb and not let them define your success. Don't let your doubts define your success. Click To Tweet
- Listening to my fears. This one kind of goes along with the last. Along with doubts come fears. Many times it is the fear of failure, but sometimes there can be a fear of success, as well. And that fear can hold you back from growing your business. Don’t let fear get in the way. Do it scared, just do it.
- Comparison Do you ever look at another consultant or competitor and compare yourself to them and their success and just want to give up? Yeah, that happens to all of us at times. It is so easy to look at what someone else is doing and how great their business seems to be going and think we can’t do it, get jealous of their success, or feel inadequate. But just like an iceberg, we are only seeing part of what is going on and not what is underneath all of that success. We don’t see all of the hard work that has gone in to getting them where they are at now. Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle! Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle! Click To Tweet
- Copying and pasting others. Do you ever see what someone else is doing great and want to copy them so that you can get the same results? They post a fun graphic on FB and get lots of engagement on it, so you are tempted to steal their graphic and use it as well. Yes, I said steal. Because it is stealing! Don’t do this! Not only can it land you in FB jail and piss someone off, but it is illegal! You cannot just take graphics you find online (or on google!) and just use them for yourself! Don’t get yourself in trouble and/or get put in FB jail, or worse, sued and fined! Yes, it most definitely happens, so that is not a risk I am willing to take! Get yourself a free account on Canva.com and make your own graphics! There are also lots of phone apps that you can use to create cute graphics as well. Stand out and brand yourself! And while we’re at it, try to stay away from using your company’s graphics as much as possible. Yes, they are created for you to use, but if everyone in your company is using the same graphics, then you are not branding yourself and FB may decide to block you (put you in jail) because you are “copying” and not being original. Check out my post on Branding Your Direct Sales Business: The Complete Guide for more branding tips.
- Sell, Sell, Sell. Is selling your products all you are trying to do with your business? There is so much more to a business than just selling a product! Don’t just sell, sell, sell. Build relationships! Engage! Be authentic! Get to know your audience! Make sure they are able to get to know you, like you, and trust you before you try to hard sell them anything. Work at building authentic relationships and the selling will follow. If you are in direct sales, check out my post, How to Do Direct Sales Without Being Spammy!
- Doing it alone. Do you ever think you have to do it all alone in order to succeed? Most of the people who have thriving businesses did not get there by themselves. They had other people alongside them encouraging them and giving them advice along the way. Don’t have someone like that? Find someone! Is your upline not helpful or non-existent? Don’t let that stop you, find someone else. Maybe it’s another consultant, a different upline/team, or your downline. Maybe it’s a business coach you find or a friend or someone in a FB group for direct sellers or entrepreneurs. If you don’t have any support in your business, I would encourage you to check out this group on FB: The Socialite Suite with Brenda Ster. It’s a great group to get advice and encouragement.
- Negative talk. Your mindset and self-talk can really make a difference in your success. I didn’t used to really believe it, but I do now. When you believe in yourself and think and speak positively about yourself and your business, your positivity will affect your outlook, your confidence, and your business. Come up with some positive affirmations and mantras (even if they are not yet completely true) and start speaking them every day. Write them down somewhere will you will see them every day to remind yourself. Mine is, “I attract motivated direct sales leaders who want to do business with me. I am the direct sales website woman.”
So there you have it. 7 things you need to stop doing in order to succeed in your business. What are you going to do about it? Did one (or more) of these 7 items stand out to you? Which one are you going to stop doing? Tell me in the comments! I’d love to help you along your journey!